Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse
Director of Nursing
• Knowledge of nursing services and medical practices and procedures.
• Must have or be willing to complete CPR Certification.
• Ability to make independent decisions, to follow instructions, and to accept constructive criticism.
• Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with residents, personnel and stakeholders.
• Ability to accept/seek out/incorporate new methods and principles.
• Ability to lead and train department personnel.
• Ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, prioritize, and interpret the services, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc., of Nursing Services.
• Strong verbal and professional written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Proficiency with computers, computer software (MS Office applications).
• Numerical ability necessary to perform Nursing duties.
• Good motor coordination and manual dexterity are required for various work routines such as lifting and transferring residents or equipment.
• Must have a telephone or designated contact phone number.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
• Ability to perform essential job functions.
• Ability to speak, write and read English in an understandable manner.
Each employee is responsible to uphold the Mission, Vision and Core Values established by Grand JiVanté and to adhere to the Standards of Conduct as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
• Oversee the day-to- day services to residents according to established Nursing Services procedures and standards
• Direct and monitor the provision of Nursing Services by assigned personnel.
• Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse
• Act in the absence of and be accountable to the Director of Nursing.
• Review and follow schedule for assigned shift and duties.
• Coordinate daily Nursing Services with other Grand JiVanté Services to meet the needs of all residents.
• Perform administrative requirements (i.e., completing necessary forms, reports, etc.,) and submit to designated personnel.
• Work with Director of Nursing to prepare work schedules, revise and assure compliance.
• Assist Director of Nursing with training and orientation of new employees.
• Participate in the development, maintenance and implementation of Grand JiVanté’s quality assurance program for Nursing Services.
• Keep informed of trends in nursing and maintain appropriate professional competency and licensure through participation in continuing education programs.
• Participate in surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies or related entities.
• Consult with and notify the Director of Nursing regularly regarding areas of concern, recommendations, service assessment and planning.
• Coach and/or counsel nursing personnel in a timely manner. Oversee, document and notify supervisor of personnel performance issues.
• Document and report to Director of Nursing any complaints/grievances.
• Assure personnel work within budgetary guidelines in relation to staffing, equipment, supplies, etc.
• Use resources effectively and efficiently.
• Participate and assist in department studies and projects.
• Participate in development and delivery of departmental in-service training.
• Assist in standardizing Nursing Services work methods/procedures.
• Be knowledgeable of and follow Federal, State, and Grand JiVanté rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they apply to Nursing Services.
• Complete any other duties as necessary/appropriate or as assigned.
Nursing Care Functions
• Provide nursing care with dignity and respect, assuring that resident is accurately identified and that privacy is maintained.
• Manage and provide direction to nursing staff regarding admission, transfer and discharge of residents.
• Welcome new residents and assist in orienting the resident and their family to Grand JiVanté .
• Make rounds with physicians as necessary.
• Make independent decisions regarding nursing care.
• Review, implement and update resident care plans and/or discharge plans, as necessary, to ensure that appropriate nursing care is being provided and documented.
• Receive, correctly document and implement all written and telephone orders received from residents’
• Consult with the resident’s physician and other disciplines in providing the resident’s care, treatment, rehabilitation, change in condition, accidents/incidents, etc., as necessary.
• Maintain open communication with family members and clergy, following HIPAA guidelines, regarding resident’s care, treatment, rehabilitation, change in condition, accidents/incidents, etc. as necessary.
• Administer professional services such as; catheterization, suction, applying and changing dressings/bandages, packs, colostomy, and drainage bags, taking blood, giving massages and range of motion exercises, terminal and post mortem care, etc., as required.
• Monitor effectiveness and/or side effects of treatments administered.
• Assess and document resident skin integrity including assessment and measurement of pressure ulcers with the wound team/nurse weekly or as directed by policy/physician/care plan.
• Give/receive the nursing report upon reporting in and ending shift duty hours.
• Observe, report and document all changes in the resident’s condition to the resident’s physician and/or nursing supervisor, if applicable, as soon as possible.
• Requisition and arrange for diagnostic and therapeutic services, as ordered by the physician, and in accordance with established procedures.
• Meet with residents, and/or family members, as necessary. Report concerns to the Director of Nursing.
• Review the resident’s chart for specific treatments, medication orders, diets, etc., as necessary.
• Supervise the restoration program as per resident’s plan of care.
• Make periodic checks to assure that prescribed treatments are being properly administered by nursing assistants and to evaluate the resident’s physical and emotional status.
• Obtain sputum, urine and other lab tests as ordered.
• Take and record TPRs, blood pressures, etc., as necessary.
• Monitor seriously ill residents as necessary.
• Document all services in compliance with individual resident care plans and Nursing Services Guidelines
• Document all skilled nursing services in compliance with resident care plans and Nursing Services Guidelines.
Medication administration functions
• Prepare and administer medication as ordered by resident’s physician(s) following Nursing Services procedures and standards.
• Ensure that narcotic medications are stored, administered and recorded in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Know the purpose, use and nursing considerations for all medications administered, and apply knowledge correctly. • Consult reference material for correct information prior to administration of unfamiliar medications.
• Manage medication, supplies, equipment and disposal following Nursing Services procedures and standards.
• Manage intravenous fluids as ordered by resident’s physician(s).
Safety and Environmental Functions
• Assure through routine inspections that all Nursing Service areas, equipment and supplies are maintained in a safe, clean, and comfortable manner for residents, staff, volunteers and visitors.
• Assure that established safety, infection control and universal precautions and procedures are followed when performing nursing services and when using equipment and supplies, including use of restraints, if applicable.
• Assure that routine/terminal isolation procedures are followed.
• Implement recommendations from the Infection Control and Safety Committees as necessary.
• Receive and follow up on all reports of hazardous conditions or equipment, accidents and incidents.
• Understand, train staff and assure compliance with fire and disaster plans; follow established procedures during drills and actual emergencies.
• Participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of safety and environmental services procedures in Nursing Services.
• Perform job duties with a positive approach, communicating a willingness to work cooperatively as part of the Grand JiVanté Team and creating an atmosphere of warmth and community.
• Anticipate, identify and respond to the needs of others in a respectful and accommodating manner.
• Take initiative to plan, prioritize and follow through on responsibilities.
• Seek out, act on, and evaluate new ideas and solutions.
• Perform all assigned tasks in accordance with Grand JiVanté established policies and procedures, and as instructed by supervisor.
• Report to work as scheduled. Report absences according to policy.
• Attend department and staff meetings.
• Complete in-service training as required in a timely manner.
• Participate in opportunities that enhance personal and professional growth.
• Maintain confidentiality of resident information per HIPAA regulations.
• Report reasonable suspicion of crime per established policy.
• Assure that the residents’ personal and property rights are maintained by assigned personnel.
• Report all complaints and grievances made by the resident.
Hazardous Exposure Category
Inherent potential for contact with blood, body fluids or tissues. Appropriate protective measures are required for every employee engaged in Category I tasks.
Physical Requirements: Lifting Requirements
Medium work—Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 poundsof force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements exceed those for light work.